John Morrow PhD
Dr John Morrow has over 30 years’ experience as an investigative scientist in the fields of immunology, rheumatology and microbiology. In addition to basic research he has run a clinical reference laboratory in diagnostic immunology (University of London). His extensive experience of product applications within the biopharmaceutical industry includes entrepreneurial involvement in drug and diagnostic start-up companies. Overall, Dr Morrow has a bench-to-bedside, balanced and practical view of vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics.
Extensive industry experience
- Entrepreneurial started biotech companies
- Principal Scientist and Director, New Technology Acquisition InBios International, Seattle
- Consultant to numerous biopharmaceutical companies including Biogen-IDEC Pharmaceuticals (La Jolla, CA), InBiios (Seattle, WA) ImmPORT Therapeutics (Irvine, CA), Transcrip (UK), 3M Healthcare (UK), PPD Pharmaco (UK)
- Founder CyVax Therapeutics, UK; 2000 (intellectual property now licensed exclusively to ImmPORT therapeutics)
- Senior Scientist, IDEC Pharmaceuticals Corporation, La Jolla, CA
Extensive academic background
- Professor, Affiliate Faculty, Department of Pathobiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Research Scientist, National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Associate Chair and Reader, Dept. of Immunology, St. Bartholomew’s and the Royal London School of Medicine & Dentistry (SB&RLSMD), University of London, UK
- Chairman, Infection and Immunity Divisional Think Tank, SB&RLSMD
- Senior Lecturer (Associate Prof.), Department of Immunology, SB&RLSMD, London, UK
- Assistant Research Immunologist, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Cancer Research Institute, University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco (UCSF), CA
- Visiting Scientist, Cancer Research Institute, UCSF, CA
- Postdoctoral fellow, Dept. of Immunology, University College London, UK
Other professional activities and major honors
- Member, Vaccines for Microbial Diseases study section, NIH
- Member, special emphasis study section, NIH
- Advisor, Parliamentary and Scientific Committee, UK
- Chairman, Director and Trustee, British Society for Immunology (BSI)
- Founder and Chairman, BSI Vaccine Immunology Group
- Council Member, BSI
- Editorial board member, Vaccine and Journal of Immunological Methods
- Consultant, World Health Organization’s meeting on the design of preclinical and clinical trials for immunomodulators in HIV infection
- Consultant to the British All-Party Parliamentary Committee on AIDS
- Member, American Society of Immunologists
Education and degrees
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc.). University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK.
- Fellow, Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath), London, UK.
- PhD, Immunology. University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK.
- BSc, Microbiology. University of Wales, Cardiff, UK.
Awards, presentations, publications
- In excess of 110 publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Author of four books
- Guest editor of special issues of Biochim Biophys Acta, Methods and Vaccine.
- Finalist, Glaxo Smith Kline-Medical Research Council business plan competition; 2000 Professional Positions
- Presented over 120 times at scientific meetings and conferences
- Presented numerous invited lectures and seminars
- Miscellaneous worldwide radio and TV interviews